Monday, January 16, 2012

What I Think About Pink

I will start off by letting you know that my daughters do like the color pink.
They play house, have a few well worn baby dolls and some Barbies that may be missing more then just their hair. They play dress up with old holiday clothes or leftover Halloween costumes. Occasionally I paint their nails (non-formaldehyde polish) and put make-up on them so they can model while I take pictures and we make a "magazine". I don't make them into tramps! Some lip gloss, mascara and body powder. They enjoy putting lotion on and we do it after their Friday night bath because we dare not offend someone (who doesn't like that barely distinguishable lavender / chamomile smell that helps them sleep) the next day at school. You know, girl stuff!
They also play in the park, in mud, hold bugs, race trucks and make the vroom-vroom sound. They try to stay up late to watch scary movies, but always get caught before we settle down and hit the PLAY button. They wear jeans with holes. They stain their shirts.  They play video games. They destroy carpets by walking around with drinks and food. They pick their noses. They wrestle and fight each other. They play on their bikes. They fart and laugh unabashedly. You know, boy stuff!
They paint, color with pens, crayons, pencils, sculpt with Play-Doh. They enjoy all books. They love "helping" me in the kitchen, not because I encourage having them underfoot in our tiny apartment! They love to snuggle and watch television. They ask too many questions. They love animals. They cry when they get hurt or mad. They don't brush their hair. They think candy is a food group. They would run around completely naked if I let them. You know, kid stuff!
I guess I don't mind my girls having a preference for pink and purple. It really isn't their fault that society is constantly barfing Disney Princess crud all over them. I have never purchased Disney clothing for them but they do have a few hand-me-downs from over the years that sport a Sleeping Beauty or Tinkerbell. They like the Disney stuff all right. It isn't their favorite. They also like HelloKitty!, LPS (Littlest Pet Shop) and Lalaloopsie. I have decided they like these toys because there is not an actual "way" to play with them. There is no story or protocol they need to follow. They just sit and put things together, strike up conversations in curious languages, giggle about the firefly marrying Barbie's puppy and leave little pieces of charming overpriced toys everywhere.
When asked what their favorite color is they usually respond "all of them!".
That makes me feel that I am doing something right!

No comments:

Post a Comment